We visited Twin Cities Live on KSTP Channel 5 to talk about home improvements you should consider doing now to enjoy that will also pay off when you sell in the future.
Open up spaces in your home
- Homebuyers like open spaces for entertaining and living. Often you can take a wall down between a kitchen and living room or dining room and open up some rooms to make the space look larger. Buyers in the future will appreciate the updated floor plan and will be more motivated to look at your home over more dated, chopped up floor plans.
- Some homes have an unfinished attic space, for example the common 1.5 story homes in Minneapolis and St. Paul. This is a great area to finish off into a master suite. Adding a master bedroom with an en suite bath is a great equity builder to a home if there is not already a master suite. This unfinished attic area is great place to do this.
- One of the best and most affordable updates you can perform to your home is new paint. Keep the color scheme neutral and make sure you keep up on touch-ups to the base boards and trim. Another great update to perform is removing that dated popcorn finish on your ceilings.
- Outdoor spaces and entertaining is a big trend, more homeowners are looking at their back yards and patios as an extended living area from their house. Plant trees and shrubs that will mature over time. Fire pits and patios are a great way to add out door living space.
- Hire an inspector to go through the house to give you an idea of the repairs that need to be done to the areas of the home that you do not normally see. Small problems like a hidden water leak can easily turn in to a big problem if not detected. The longer you put off repairs the more expensive they become. The inspector can point out areas that need attention or may become a problem in the future that you can make sure stay maintained or work on repairing over time.
See more clips from Twin Cities live on our YouTube channel.